Series 90 (S90)
Series 90 was a user interface for touch screen phones produced by Nokia. It was based on Series 80.
There have been only two devices that use the Series 90 user interface, although only the other one, Nokia 7710, was launched to market. S90 devices' special characteristics include a big, almost the entire front cover filling 640 x 320 pixels large resistive touch screen, operated with a stylus.
Although there are only two S90 devices, both of them have different user interface versions. Below is a list.
- Series 90 1st Edition (S90 v1.0)
- Series 90 2nd Edition (S90 v2.0)
In this window, which opens in a new window, there are images of both of the user interface versions.
- ROM drive Z:
- Contains the operating system's and user interface's files. It's on a Flash memory chip in "read only" form, and it can only be edited during the firmware update.
- User drive C:
- This drive can be used as a storage area of the user's own files; the user can save his files and install applications here, and it won't empty although the device gets switched off.
- User drive D:
- This drive is a memory card, which can be attached into the device. Like the C: drive, it can be used as the user's own storage, and it won't lose its data although it wouldn't get any power.
- Program memory - RAM
- This is a memory for running programs. For example when the user opens an image file, the image and the image viewer applications gets loaded onto this memory. When the device is switched off, this memory gets empty. So basically this memory works like the PC's RAM memory.
Like aforementioned, there are only two S90 devices published to date: Nokia 7710 and Nokia 7700. Below is a list of them.
|Device||Operating system||User interface|
|Nokia 7700||Symbian OS v7.0s||Series 90 v1.0|
|Nokia 7710||Symbian OS v7.0s||Series 90 v2.0|
- Although S90 platform's life was short, the user interface lived on with the Hildon UI which was used by Nokia's Maemo platform (Nokia 770 Internet Tablet, Nokia N800 and Nokia N810) and later MeeGo.
- Some of Series 80 2nd Edition programs work on the Series 90 platform
- In 2014 I found out that Nokia 7710 devices used S90 v1.0 UI, thanks Seif!